1. Individuals who have taken their first two doses of the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine can now walk into selected vaccination centres for their third dose of COVID-19 vaccine to complete their primary series, without prior appointment.
2. This follows our announcement on 2 December 2021 that those who have taken two doses of Sinovac-CoronaVac are strongly encouraged to take their third dose of a COVID-19 vaccine before 31 December 2021, as long as three months have passed from their second dose. There are currently about 29,000 individuals who are due for their third dose, after having received two doses of the Sinovac-CoronaVac. They are strongly recommended to receive a PSAR-authorised mRNA vaccine for their third dose unless medically ineligible to do so.
3. This will help maintain the protection from the vaccine, as antibody levels from the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine declines rapidly within three to six months after completion of the second dose. Emerging international data indicates that while the mRNA vaccines, especially with booster vaccination, are protective against the Omicron variant, the Sinovac-CoronaVac and Sinopharm vaccines result in weaker neutralising activity and may not be protective.
4. Taking the remaining dose of the three-dose primary regime will maintain the individual’s fully vaccinated status. Beyond this time interval, the individual’s vaccination status will revert to ‘additional dose needed’ and will be subject to the current Vaccination-Differentiated Safe Management Measures (VDS) if they do not do so.
Walk-ins for Eligible Individuals to Complete Third Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine
5. Individuals who have taken the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine as their first two doses can now walk into the following vaccination centres for their third dose to complete their primary series:
a. Vaccination centres offering the Moderna vaccine;
b. Vaccination centres offering the Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine, if they are aged 60 years and older; and
c. Raffles City Convention Centre (RCCC), which offers the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine, and takes walk-ins until 31 December 2021.
Three Vaccination Centres to Offer both Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty and Moderna Vaccines
6. From 27 December 2021, three Vaccination Centres – Bishan Community Club, Canberra Community Club, and Tanjong Pagar Community Club – will begin administering the Moderna vaccine, in addition to the currently available Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty vaccine. Individuals who have booked a slot for either vaccine brands at any of these Vaccination Centres via the National Appointment System are required to keep to their bookings and chosen vaccine type.
7. In view of the rise in Omicron cases globally and locally, there is a need to be boosted for better protection. Those who have had their second dose of Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty or Moderna vaccine at least five months ago, but have not yet received their SMS notification can walk into any Vaccination Centre for a booster vaccination without the need for a prior appointment.