18th May 2020
Minister for Health Mr Gan Kim Yong attended the 73rd World Health Assembly (WHA), held on 18 May 2020.
2. This is the first time the annual WHA was held virtually. It took on an abridged agenda prepared by the Executive Board to cover only essential matters of the World Health Organization (WHO), in order to focus on the global COVID-19 pandemic response.
3. The attendees comprised Health Ministers of the WHO Member States, the WHO Director-General, Regional-Directors of the six WHO Regions, and senior officials from the WHO.
4. Mr Gan shared that Singapore’s circuit breaker measures have delivered promising results, with fewer new cases in the community. The situation in our migrant worker dormitories has also stabilised. As Member States make plans to gradually resume normalcy, Mr Gan highlighted the importance of adopting a cautious approach towards lifting public health measures in a safe manner.
5. Mr Gan highlighted the need for unity and cooperation amongst the international community in the fight against COVID-19. Mr Gan expressed appreciation to the WHO for their leadership and expertise in the global response, and emphasised the importance of continuity in addressing health priorities under the Sustainable Development Goals, even as Member States address the immediate challenges of the pandemic.
6. The transcript of Mr Gan’s remarks is enclosed.
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
18 MAY 2020