From 1 January 2024, the Novavax/Nuvaxovid COVID-19 vaccine will no longer be available under the National Vaccination Programme (NVP) as the existing formulation of the vaccine, which is based on the original COVID-19 strain, is no longer supplied by the manufacturer, and Singapore’s existing stock will expire on 31 December 2023.
2. Novavax is in the process of filing for regulatory approval for its updated COVID-19 XBB.1.5 vaccine formulation. Further updates will be provided when Novavax has successfully filed for regulatory approval.
3. To enable eligible individuals to receive the existing formulation of the Novavax/Nuvaxovid vaccine by 31 December 2023, the Ministry of Health (MOH) will make the following arrangements:
a. Eligible individuals who wish to receive their first dose of the Novavax/Nuvaxovid vaccine have to do so by 1 December 2023. Thereafter MOH will stop accepting new vaccinees for the existing Novavax/Nuvaxovid vaccine. This is to allow sufficient time for them to complete their primary vaccination series before 31 December 2023.
b. Eligible individuals who have already received one dose of the Novavax/Nuvaxovid vaccine previously will be contacted by MOH or the clinic where they received their earlier dose, to receive their second dose by 31 December 2023 to complete their primary vaccination series.
c. Eligible individuals who have completed their primary vaccination series and wish to receive the Novavax/Nuvaxovid vaccine to achieve minimum protection or as an additional dose, should also do so by 31 December 2023, with a minimum interval of five months after their last dose. After 31 December 2023, these individuals could receive the mRNA vaccines (Moderna/Spikevax and Pfizer-BioNTech/Comirnaty) at our Joint Testing and Vaccination Centres, polyclinics and Public Health Preparedness Clinics (PHPCs).
4. Eligible individuals can receive the Novavax/Nuvaxovid vaccine by calling any of the participating PHPCs to make an appointment. Please refer to https://gowhere.gov.sg/vaccine to locate the nearest PHPC offering the Novavax/Nuvaxovid vaccine.
5. Persons who are medically ineligible to receive the mRNA vaccines can choose to receive the Sinovac-CoronaVac vaccine, which is available on the NVP until 30 September 2024. Alternatively, they may choose to take Sinopharm, which continues to be available at private clinics which have applied to use it under the Special Access Route.
6. We encourage all individuals to receive their COVID-19 vaccine when eligible, to keep up to date with their vaccination and protection against COVID-19.
MINISTRY OF HEALTH
28 NOVEMBER 2023